Thursday 27 January 2011

from the kitchen - lavender's blue part two


So earlier this week I shared a 'recipe' for lavender sugar. And you might have thought "well it looks pretty, but when am I ever going to use lavender flavoured anything?" And that is exactly what I thought when I first saw food grade lavender on sale in the spices section in the supermarket. But a spoon of lavender sugar in a cup of tea is lovely and relaxing and of course, sugar cookies could always use some extra oomph. So I adapted my favourite sugar cookie recipe, cut the vanilla in half and mized half regular caster sugar with my lavender-ised mix et voila - lavender scented sugar cookies, we will be indulging on Friday for my afternoon tea birthday party:


(please forgive the childlike handwriting - I thought it would look arty and romantic writing joined up, but in truth it looks a bit Junior School - which is the last time I wrote anything joined up!)


Recipe:

Pre-heat oven to 180
Cream 90g butter, 50g caster sugar and 50g lavender sugar until soft and pale then beat in 1 large egg followed by 1/2 tsp vanilla, 200g flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt
Wrap in cling film and rest in fridge for 20-30 minutes
Roll out onto floured surface and cut using flour dipped cookie cutter
Bake for 8-12 minutes until pale gold and still slightly soft in centre
Cool on wire rack and ice/ decorate

Since I am going with a 'keep it simple, stupid' mantra for this party I knew I would never ice these to the kind of perfection I would want. Instead I used letter cutters to cut the centre of my cookies and will dust liberally with icing sugar right before serving.

Blue Skies,
Charlotte xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...