Saturday 7 May 2011

Daring Baker's Challenge - Maple Mousse in and Edible Container

The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz.. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at The Daring Kitchen!

Mandatory Items: There are 2 mandatory components to this challenge. You must make one of the 2 maple mousse recipes and you must make an edible container in which to place your mousse for presentation.

---


So I'm a little late with this (last) month's Daring Baker's Challenge because of the twilight zone between moving house and when the broadband guys can connect you (i.e. equal parts of cheeky flirting and threatening to take my valued custom elsewhere). But here is my first challenge entry... Maple Mousse in an Edible Container:


I made chocolate bowls, because as you guys know an evening spent melting chocolate is an evening well spent. Plus I am a sucker for anything heart shaped so I used the silicone heart shaped muffin cups from my Valentine Brunch. I would say they were meant to come out all ragged edged and rustic, but I don't think I can excuse away the fact that my chocolate went out of temper and therefore looks a little tie-dyed.


The inspiration behind the challenge was the cabane à sucre tradition in Canada (hence the maple syrup) and there were some amazing multi-coloured, many e-numbered, sugar loaded entries. I was going to go wild with a shaker of multicoloured sprinkles, but when I saw the elegant buff mousse in their dark chocolate shells I couldn't spoil it with synthetic colours, so I went for some candied almonds a la David Lebovitz.

I'll be honest, I didn't really like the mousse, too much sugar and gelatine I think. But I love how you can spend hours hunting down somewhat obscure ingredients and someone like my other half will still compare it to Angel Delight!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...